Avi Shalav Dr Avi Shalav, from the University of New South Wales, has developed Shalav Shack Physics Fails. This short video series, filmed and edited during the 2020 pandemic, shows the hilarious trials and tribulations of conducting live physics demonstrations from the isolated “safety” of one’s own home.
The website holds a complete introduction to mechanics, waves and sound with a few other topics included. The primary topics of mechanics, waves and sound cover that which is covered in the physics syllabus of Australian high schools and that of an introductory university course in physics.
Resourses for Teachers
Physics Data and Resources
- Web Elements (Periodic Table)
- PhysicsWeb (IOP)
- Everything you wanted to know about Nuclear Power
- The Net Advance of Physics (MIT)
- PACS numbering scheme (APS)
- Physics Slogans
- University Physics Departments in Australia and New Zealand
- Physics Research Institutions in Australia and New Zealand
- Physics Societies Around the World
Physics Policy and Politics
The Funneled Web exists to make the case for the fundamental importance of science and education to Australia.
The following statement was formally adopted by the 23rd General Assembly of IUPAP(International Union of Pure and Applied Physics) in Atlanta, March 20, 1999.
- Sydney University School of Physics – “Build Something” competition
- University of Newcastle Science and Engineering Challenge
- YSA Science Challenge
School Science syllabus’
- The new NSW 7 – 10 Science syllabus (Draft)
- The Board of Studies.
- NSW Department of Education and Training.
HSC Information (NSW)
- The latest Board of Studies HSC Syllabus (pdf file).
- More details available here.
- Universities Admissions Centre [NSW & ACT] Pty. Ltd.
- HSC Resources page (UNSW)
- Science Online Australia’s first dedicated Science industry online community. Lab equipment and consumerables for laboratories.
- Schoolzone – the UK.s No. 1 Education Site.
- Getting it to Work – a manual for high school science teachers to provide basic instructions for teachers to help them in setting up difficult demonstrations and laboratory equipment. Previously available online as a PDF file.
Conferences and Exhibitions
- Innovative Approaches to Teaching Science conference sponsored by CUTSD.
Societies and Associations
- Sydney University Physics Education Research Group (SUPER)
- Australasian Science Education Research Association (ASERA)
- Australian Science Teachers Association
- American Association of Physics Teachers.
- National Science Teachers Association (USA).
- Mathematics and Science Expert Panels (USA).
- Science Literacy for a Changing Future run by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS, USA).
Lecture Demonstration Resources
- PIRA Homepage Physics Instructional Resource Association. Includes a database of recommended demonstrations for physics courses.
- NCSU Physics Demoroom Keith Warren’s page at North Carolina State University.
- Physics Lecture Demonstration Facility University of Maryland.
- Worksheet Generator – lets you generate worksheets online and then print them.
- Article on Internet Resources in Physics.
- School Physics Resources, Uniserve Science. A collection of web-links to various physics education sites around the world.
- DMOZ – Open Directory Project. An attempt to organise the BEST physics sites on the internet.
- PedagoNet is a learning resources search engine. Find and post immediately your resources there.
- The Nine Planets Astronomy tour of the Solar System
- How Things Work. A web page where you can find out how everyday things work in terms of their physics.
- ABCs The Lab.
- Smile Program Physics Index.
- Exploratorium Science Snacks.
- Physics Demonstrations bu Julien C. Sprott.
- Science sites – put together by Macarthur Girls High School.
- Monocosm – Solving the 4D problem.
- Nova: Science in the News Australian Academy of Science.
- Physics First – Science Curriculum at the High School level.
- Science Gems.
- Exploratorium. A science Museum in San Francisco.
- Science Hobbyist including a good list of science myths.
- Teach-nology physics links.
- Energy and Electricity Units -maths and meaning
Alternative Teaching Strategies
- Modelling workshops
- CPU project (Constructing Physics Understanding)
- TiP (Theory into Practice) Database. The database contains brief summaries of 50 major theories of learning and instruction.
- Teaching attitude survey
- Physics 2000, Physics as it enters a New Millennium. Prepared by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) (464k PDF file).
- Review of Middle School Physical Science Texts (2000).
- CSIRO Science Education Centres (CSIROSECs).
- The Helix is the magazine of CSIRO’s Double Helix Science Club.
- Science for School Students, Faculty of Science, University of Sydney.
Join the AIP
School teachers who do not have the necessary qualifications to join the AIP as a regular Member (MAIP), but may still join as an Associate member. Membership entitles you to all membership benefits, including receiving the AIP magazine Australian Physics. See the AIP membership page for more details.