Welcome to the website of the NSW branch of the Australian Institute of Physics. The NSW branch is very active and this will indeed be another exciting year.
AIP NSW Office Bearers for 2020:
Chair: Dr Scott Martin
Secretary: Dr Fred Osman
Treasurer: Dr Phil Burns
Committee Member: Associate Professor Matthew Arnold
Committee Member: Associate Professor Michael Lerch
Committee Member: Dr Timothy Van der Laan
Website Manager: Dr Graeme Melville
Please view our calendar and details of coming and past events below. More details will become available as we get closer to the event.
2020 NSW Australian Institute of Physics in the CLOUD
Nominations have now closed for physics enthusiasts to express interest in presenting a Five-minute ZOOM entertaining presentation of various forms, (e.g. comedy, quiz, demonstrations) on some aspect of physics at the 2020 NSW Australian Institute of Physics in the Cloud – an online version of Physics in the Pub with added quiz component.
The 2020 event is proudly supported by Laboratories Credit Union and will be held by ZOOM for viewing on Friday 21st August from 6:00pm.
Past 2020 Events:
Frontiers of Science Forum: Fri 6 March 2020. 5.15pm-refreshments 6.00pm-presentations. Boston University Sydney Campus, 15-25 Regent Street Chippendale. COST: Nil Includes light refreshments. See FLYER.
Past 2019 Events
Public Talk by Prof Heinrich Hora ‘Initiative Against Climatic Change by Lasers Based on 2018 Physics Nobel Prize?’ Friday 8 March 2019 at 6 pm. See flyer for details.
Public Lecture – Biophysics at the nanoscale, one molecule at a time by Prof Antoine van Oijen on Thurs 30 May, University of Wollongong. See FLYER.
ANSTO Tour and Public Lecture – Tues 25 June 5 pm. See FLYER. The Square Kilometre Array: Australia’s international mega science project by Dr Sarah Pearce. Sarah manages the CSIRO SKA (Square Kilometre Array) Centre that co-ordinates CSIRO SKA activities.
Dirac Lecture – 2019 Dirac Medal and Lecture with Professor Lene Vestergaard Hau (Harvard University). This event has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Physics in the Pub – Wed 7th August from 6:30 pm. The Physics Free-For-All Variety Night!! FLYER
The 2019 event will be held at the ‘Friend in Hand Hotel’, 58 Cowper St, Glebe, on Wednesday 7th August from 6:30 pm. Bookings.
WIP Lecture – ‘How neutrons will save the world’ Dr Helen Maynard-Casely – Instrument Scientist at the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation Venues: Macquarie Uni (8 Aug) – 14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Avenue, Lecture Theatre 4 and Science Space (9 Aug), 60 Squires Way, North Wollongong. Bookings.
Einstein Lecture – Thursday 15 August at 6.30 pm. UNSW. Professor Elisabetta Barberio – School of Physics, University of Melbourne. Very popular event so places are limited. Bookings.
AIP Industry Day 2019– Thurs 7 Nov 2019 at CSIRO Lindfield. ‘Solving Global Challenges’. LINK to website. Free registration.
Careers Exploration – Tues 12 Nov 2019 UTS. See FLYER.
Postgrad Day – Tues 12 Nov 2019 UTS. FLYER. This day will include the NSWAIP AGM as well as a talk by Prof Jodie Bradby in the evening. See below for details.
Public Talk – Tues 12 Nov 2019 UTS at 6.30 p.m. Speaker is AIP President – Prof Jodie Bradby. See FLYER.
Past Events (2018)
- AIP seminar 13th Mar: Cathy Foley on superconductivity: Details in Pdf.
- AIP / STANSW Physics Teachers Conference 15 June at UTS
- ANSTO Visit: Tues 26 June.
- AIP / RACI Joint Seminar: Tuesday 1 August.
- WIP Lectures – Public Lecture by Dr Ceri Brenner at Macquarie University – 6.30 pm Wed 8 Aug.
- Einstein Lecture 2018: Tuesday 14 August 6 pm. Public Lecture at UNSW with Prof Michelle Simmons (2018 Australian of the Year) as the speaker. Register through this FLYER.
- Einstein Lecture Introduction by Dr Melville. Photos – One; Two; Three; Four; Five; Six; Seven; Eight
- AIP Physics in the Pub: New date – Friday 17 August. Details in Pdf. Some of the ‘Acts’. Act 1; Act 2; Act 3.
- AIP Industry Day: Thursday 8 November.
- AIP Postgraduate Awards + Special Lecture + AGM:Tuesday 13 November at the UNSW, School of Physics. SCHEDULE . UNSW Map.
The NSWAIP gives out a number of prizes each year including:
- 2020 AIP NSW Eligibility Criteria for Student Prizes entitled Best Graduating Student.
- 2020 Community Outreach to Physics Award
2019 Community Outreach to Physics Award – this has been won by past ‘Wollongong Science Centre, Director Glen Moore.