Welcome to the website of the NSW branch of the Australian Institute of Physics. The NSW branch is very active and this will indeed be another exciting year.
AIP NSW Office Bearers for 2019:
Chair: Dr Fred Osman
Secretary: Associate Professor Matthew Arnold
Treasurer: Dr Phil Burns
Committee Member: Dr Scott Martin
Committee Member: Associate Professor Michael Lerch
Committee Member: Dr Timothy Van der Laan
Website Manager: Dr Graeme Melville
Please view our calendar and details of coming and past events below. More details will become available as we get closer to the event.
Approaching 2019 Event Details
Dirac Lecture – 2019 Dirac Medal and Lecture with Professor Lene Vestergaard Hau (Harvard University). This event has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Physics in the Pub – Wed 7th August from 6:30 pm
The Physics Free-For-All Variety Night!! FLYER
Join us as we head down to the world famous Friend in Hand Pub in Glebe. Catch up with other physicists and engage in conversation in a relaxed social setting. This is a free event; however, attendees will need to cover the cost of their own food and drinks. Local scientists will give eight-minute presentations about their research, the colourful history of physics and quirky phenomena that pique their interest.
The 2019 event will be held at the ‘Friend in Hand Hotel’, 58 Cowper St, Glebe, on Wednesday 7th August from 6:30 pm. Bookings.
WIP Lecture – ‘How neutrons will save the world’ Dr Helen Maynard-Casely – Instrument Scientist at the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation Venues: Macquarie Uni (8 Aug) – 14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Avenue, Lecture Theatre 4 and Science Space (9 Aug), 60 Squires Way, North Wollongong. Bookings.
Einstein Lecture – Thursday 15 August at 6.30 pm. UNSW. Professor Elisabetta Barberio – School of Physics, University of Melbourne. Very popular event so places are limited. Bookings.
Past 2019 Events
- Public Talk by Prof Heinrich Hora ‘Initiative Against Climatic Change by Lasers Based on 2018 Physics Nobel Prize?’ Friday 8 March 2019 at 6 pm. See flyer for details.
Public Lecture – Biophysics at the nanoscale, one molecule at a time by Prof Antoine van Oijen on Thurs 30 May, University of Wollongong. See FLYER.
ANSTO Tour and Public Lecture – Tues 25 June 5 pm. See FLYER. The Square Kilometre Array: Australia’s international mega science project by Dr Sarah Pearce. Sarah manages the CSIRO SKA (Square Kilometre Array) Centre that co-ordinates CSIRO SKA activities.
Past Events (2018)
- AIP seminar 13th Mar: Cathy Foley on superconductivity: Details in Pdf.
- AIP / STANSW Physics Teachers Conference 15 June at UTS
- ANSTO Visit: Tues 26 June.
- AIP / RACI Joint Seminar: Tuesday 1 August.
- WIP Lectures – Public Lecture by Dr Ceri Brenner at Macquarie University – 6.30 pm Wed 8 Aug.
- Einstein Lecture 2018: Tuesday 14 August 6 pm. Public Lecture at UNSW with Prof Michelle Simmons (2018 Australian of the Year) as the speaker. Register through this FLYER.
- Einstein Lecture Introduction by Dr Melville. Photos – One; Two; Three; Four; Five; Six; Seven; Eight
- AIP Physics in the Pub: New date – Friday 17 August. Details in Pdf. Some of the ‘Acts’. Act 1; Act 2; Act 3.
- AIP Industry Day: Thursday 8 November.
- AIP Postgraduate Awards + Special Lecture + AGM:Tuesday 13 November at the UNSW, School of Physics. SCHEDULE . UNSW Map.
The NSWAIP gives out a number of prizes each year including:
- 2019 AIP NSW Eligibility Criteria for Student Prizes entitled Best Graduating Student.
- 2019 Community Outreach to Physics Award
2018 Community Outreach to Physics Award – this has been won by CSIRO researcher Dr Scott Martin.