Happy New Year!
We hope that you are returning to work fully-charged and ready to take on 2019.
This year we have a new Victorian branch committee with office-holders and general members as follows:
- Chair Gail Iles (RMIT)
- Vice-Chair Daniel Langley (Swinburne)
- Secretary Matthew Lay (FB Rice)
- Treasurer Geoffrey Cousland (Melbourne Uni.)
- General Amanda Perdomo (Royal Children’s Hospital), Mark Edmonds (Monash), John Thornton (DST), Anton Tadich (Australian Synchrotron)
We are planning lots of exciting events this year, allowing you to make full use of your membership, and to bring your friends and colleagues to public events too.
- February: Professor Elisabetta Barberio (University of Melbourne) will deliver the BOAS Medal lecture coinciding with the AIP AGM
- March: we will have a stand within the Victorian Government pavilion at the Avalon Airshow. Many physicists are also pilots, aspiring or otherwise, so this is a good opportunity to combine physics, fun and flying.
- April: we will have a talk by the Lead Scientist for Victoria, Amanda Caples, with a members-only event afterwards, giving you the chance to talk to Amanda directly.
For dates, locations and updates, please check the website regularly and/or follow us on twitter or Facebook.
The committee will be meeting regularly throughout 2019 and we are always happy to hear suggestions for events that you – the members – would like to see offered.
Wishing you all the best for a fruitful 2019,
Branch Chair – Australian Institute of Physics (Victoria)