On Tuesday 26 June, the Australian Institute of Physics NSW Branch | Royal Australian Chemical Institute | The Royal Society of New South Wales | Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation presents BIG Science. Exploring the future of the world’s most exciting STEM challenges and developments at this year’s combined event.
When: Tuesday 26 June 2018
Where: ANSTO Discover Centre, New Illawarra Road Lucas Heights
Speaker: Professor Richard Garrett – Senior Advisor, Strategic Projects and Manager, Industry and External Engagement at ANSTO
Bookings Essential: bigsciencecombinedmeeting.eventbrite.com.au
RSVP required by 22 June 2018
Optional tour of the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering: 5.00pm – 6.00pm
Refreshments: 6.00pm – 6.30pm Presentation: 6.30pm – 7.30pm
Optional dinner at RockSalt, 1/72-80 Allison Crescent, Menai ($50 pp.): 8.00pm
Enquiries: Dr Frederick Osman on email@example.com or refer to the attached flyer
Big Science Combined Meeting POSTER FINALPresented by the Australian Institute of Physics New South Wales Branch | Royal Australian Chemical Institute | The Royal Society of New South Wales | Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
Welcome to the website of the NSW branch of the Australian Institute of Physics. The NSW branch is very active and this will indeed be an exciting year.
AIP NSW Office Bearers for 2018:
Chair: Dr Fred Osman
Deputy Chair: Dr Graeme Melville (listen to some of his radio interviews: Exoplanets; Earth’s Pole Reversal.
Secretary: Associate Professor Matthew Arnold
Treasurer: Dr Phil Burns
Committee Member: Dr Scott Martin
Committee Member: Associate Professor Michael Lerch
Committee Member: Mrs Erin Munn
Committee Member: Mr Robert Raposio
Committee Member: Dr Timothy Van der Laan
Please view our calendar and details of coming and past events below. More details will become available as we get closer to the event.
2018 Event Dates:
- AIP seminar 13th Mar: Cathy Foley on superconductivity: Details in Pdf.
- AIP / STANSW Physics Teachers Conference 15 June at UTS – details to follow.
- ANSTO Visit: Tues 26 June.
- AIP / RACI Joint Seminar: Tuesday 1 August.
- WIP Lectures – Details to follow.
- Einstein Lecture 2018: Tuesday 14 August 6 pm. Public Lecture at UNSW with Prof Michelle Simmons (2018 Australian of the Year) as the speaker. Details to follow.
- AIP Physics in the Pub: New date – Friday 17 August. Details in Pdf.
- AIP Industry Day: Thursday 1 November – details to follow.
- AIP Postgraduate Awards + AGM:Tuesday 13 November at the UNSW, School of Physics. Details to follow
Hope to see many people at our spectacular events this year.
The NSWAIP gives out a number of prizes each year including:
2017 Events :
2017 Community Outreach to Physics Award – this has been won by astronomer Dr Ragbir Bhathal from UWS and will be presented at 6 pm at the Postgraduate Awards Ceremony at UNSW on the 14 Nov. Congratulations Ragbir.