Welcome to the website of the NSW branch of the Australian Institute of Physics. The NSW branch is very active and this will indeed be an exciting year.
AIP NSW Office Bearers for 2018:
Chair: Dr Fred Osman
Secretary: Associate Professor Matthew Arnold
Treasurer: Dr Phil Burns
Committee Member: Dr Scott Martin
Committee Member: Associate Professor Michael Lerch
Committee Member: Mrs Erin Munn
Committee Member: Mr Robert Raposio
Committee Member: Dr Timothy Van der Laan
Website Manager: Dr Graeme Melville
Please view our calendar and details of coming and past events below. More details will become available as we get closer to the event.
2018 Event Dates:
- AIP seminar 13th Mar: Cathy Foley on superconductivity: Details in Pdf.
- AIP / STANSW Physics Teachers Conference 15 June at UTS – details to follow.
- ANSTO Visit: Tues 26 June.
- AIP / RACI Joint Seminar: Tuesday 1 August.
- WIP Lectures – Details to follow.
- Einstein Lecture 2018: Tuesday 14 August 6 pm. Public Lecture at UNSW with Prof Michelle Simmons (2018 Australian of the Year) as the speaker. Details to follow.
- AIP Physics in the Pub: New date – Friday 17 August. Details in Pdf.
- AIP Industry Day: Thursday 1 November – details to follow.
- AIP Postgraduate Awards + AGM:Tuesday 13 November at the UNSW, School of Physics. Details to follow
Hope to see many people at our spectacular events this year.
The NSWAIP gives out a number of prizes each year including:
- 2018 AIP NSW Eligibility Criteria for Student Prizes entitled Best Graduating Student.
- 2018 Community Outreach to Physics Award
2017 Events :
- AIPMarchMEETING(2017)-Geraint Lewis
- Astronaut Visit
- Physics in the Pub
- WIP Tour – see one of the lectures on youtube
- Flyer Future-of-Fusion-Tuesday 1 August 2017
- Einstein Lecture 2017
- Physics in Industry Day
- Dirac Lecture
- Postgraduate Day Report
2017 Community Outreach to Physics Award – this has been won by astronomer Dr Ragbir Bhathal from UWS and will be presented at 6 pm at the Postgraduate Awards Ceremony at UNSW on the 14 Nov. Congratulations Ragbir.